Vocational Education and Training (VET) in School Certificates are undertaken by senior secondary students as an optional part of the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) or a compulsory part of the Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL) certificate. VET courses consist of both theory and practical based work tasks.
Which students can do a VET course?
Students in Years 10, 11 and 12 can elect and apply to do a VET course.
Benefits of completing a VET course
- A nationally recognised vocational certificate
- Counts towards the VCAL certificate or VCE Certificate
- May contribute to the ATAR or study score in the VCE
- Enhance knowledge of employer and workplace expectations
- Develop employability skills including; communication, team work, using technology, problem solving, using mathematical ideas and concepts, planning and organising activities, gathering and analysing information and occupational health and safety and leadership
- Develop the skills and knowledge required to work in a particular industry
- Gain industry experience and employability skills
How do students apply to do a VET course?
Students need to complete the application form and student agreement forms found below. If applying to do a VET course at The Gordon an online application must also be completed. Hard copies of these forms can be found in the Careers office.
When do VET Classes run?
1st Year VET Classes run on a Wednesday afternoon from 1:30 – 5pm (Times may vary according to the delivery site)
2nd Year VET classes run on a Monday afternoon from 1:30 – 5pm (Times may vary according to the delivery site)
How do VET students get to their delivery sites?
Students travel on a special VET bus, an amazing network that takes students into the Fenwick Street interchange and then buses go to the different delivery sites. When students arrive at the delivery site they need to sign in. Please note buses do not return to school after class and students will need to be picked up or make their own way home.
Contact: Megan McPherson
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 5243 5355
Located on site at Belmont High School
What external VET courses do our students do?
Geelong Industry Trade Training Centre– Indiana Ave, Corio
The Gordon- City and East Geelong Campus
City Campus- Certificate III in Business, Community Services, Laboratory Skills, Beauty Services, Design Fundamentals (Graphic Design), Allied Health Assisstance
East Geelong Campus- Certificate II in Electrotechnology Studies (Pre-vocational), Plumbing (Pre- apprenticeship), Animal Studies and Certificate III in Design Fundamentals (Basic Design)
Lara Secondary College
North Geelong Secondary College
Geelong High School
Matthew Flinders Girls Secondary
Bellarine Secondary College