Select Entry Accelerated Learning Program (SEALP)
Belmont High School is one 37 Victorian Government secondary schools providing a Select Entry Accelerated Learning Program to address the learning needs of their gifted and high potential students.
Curriculum acceleration differs from the mainstream program in that it:
- provides a faster-paced curriculum with less repetition,
- supports greater study of highly abstract, complex and in-depth concepts,
- supports students to develop complex, high-level investigative, problem-solving and creative thinking skills,
- fosters a learning environment where students are challenged by their intellectual peers and develop more realistic levels of self-esteem.
At Belmont High School students undertaking this program will be accelerated in English, Mathematics, Science, Humanities and languages. Other subjects studied will be the same as mainstream classes Arts, Technology and Physical Education.
The aims of the program are:
- to create a more challenging learning environment
- to guarantee proficiency in the basic curriculum
- to provide an opportunity for highly talented and motivated students to undertake a school program that meets their specific needs.
Students in this program complete the schools Year 7-10 curriculum in three years instead of the usual four.
They may then opt to:
- Complete VCE in two years and enter tertiary education earlier.
- Take a wider choice of VCE subjects over 3 years. Perhaps also including first year university subjects.
- Select some VCE and some Year 10 subjects to extend themselves in areas of special interest whilst broadening their educational base.
Selection Process for 2018
Students wishing to join the program may be nominated by a parent or guardian. Students will be selected for entry into the SEAL program according to the following:
- General aptitude test evaluating mathematical, problem solving, comprehension and creative writing abilities.
- Primary teacher evaluation form.
- Parent Questionnaire.
- Interview one with the student, another with parent(s)/guardian(s).
Select Entry Accelerated Learning Program Information Night – Wednesday 15th March, 2017, 7.00pm, Belmont High School Library (Optional school tour 6:00-6:45PM please meet at library)
SEALP Applications close 23rd March.
SEALP Testing dates: Friday 21st April and Saturday 22nd April
Application forms can be downloaded from the link 2018 Application Form
An information booklet can be downloaded from the link SEALP Information Booklet Yr 7 2018 Intake
Applications are also available from the Belmont High School General Office.